December 20- 1:30 PM Evangelism Committee, Presbytery Office
December 21-January 2 OFFICE CLOSED for the holidays
January 3 – LeaderFest Early Bird Deadline
Mission Giving Deadline
The deadline for the Presbytery Office to receive mission moneys for the 2016 calendar year is coming soon. Monies must be postmarked by December 31, 2017 for INDIVIDUALS, and postmarked by Wednesday, January 8, 2018 for CHURCHES.
Sudan Hunger Offering
Between the offering at the November presbytery meeting, Giving Tuesday, and other monies received at the office designated for the Sudan Hunger Offering, $7,090.20 has been received to date. Donations are still being accepted.
Register for LeaderFest 2018!
Click here to register online, print brochures & bulletin inserts, and learn more about our annual LeaderFest event coming up on Saturday, January 13th. There will be a special keynote presentation by Dr. Stephen Franklin of Meridian Presbyterian Church in Butler, as well as many workshops surrounding the theme of Discipleship. Please join us! Early bird registration, as well as the group discount, ends on January 3rd!!!
Developing Emergency Plans At Church
All churches should engage in emergency planning so that when an incident occurs, staff and church leaders follow safe procedures. Potential emergencies can arise from acts of God (hurricanes, snow storms), accidents (electrical fire, flooding), and acts of man (violence, infectious disease). While creating a plan can seem overwhelming, breaking down an emergency plan by potential emergency and discussing possible responses can make the task less onerous. Read the rest of the article.
Stated Clerk Updates
– TE Bill Blacksmith (HR) recently died in Indiana, Pa. Bill served the Highland church in New Castle.
– TE Elizabeth Wallace, formerly Associate Pastor at Christ church in Ellwood City, is now serving as Temporary Pastor of the Wampum church.
– TE Catherine Craley has been elected pastor of the Trinity church in Mercer, transferring her minister membership from Mission Presbytery in Texas. She began her ministry this month at Trinity and will be installed on January 21, 2018.
– TE Jordan Rimmer has been elected pastor of the Northminster church in New Castle, transferring his minister membership from Beaver-Butler Presbytery. He will begin his ministry at Northminster in the new year.
– Honorable retirement was recognized at our recent stated presbytery meeting for TE Bill Crooks (Trinity) and TE Andrew Jillson (Northminster).
– TE John Creekpaum (MAL) and RE Nancy Aubel (Northminster) we recently added to the presbytery’s approved Pulpit Supply list.
– Clen-Moore, First New Castle, Moravia, and Slippery Rock churches are each searching for pastors.
(TE = Teaching Elder; RE = Ruling Elder; CRE = Commissioned Ruling Elder; MAL = Member at Large; HR = Honorably Retired; PNC = Pastor Nominating Committee)
Even as Presbyterian Disaster Assistance began working toward recovery after Hurricane Harvey, Irma and Maria followed close behind, weaving a path of devastation, wiping out islands in the Caribbean and bringing damaging winds and storm surge to Florida. Years of recovery lie ahead, and your commitment will help PDA extend the hands of Christ. PDA is the emergency response and refugee program of the denomination, committed to the long-term journey of recovery of communities adversely affected by a crisis or catastrophic event. It is funded by the One Great Hour of Sharing and raises designated funds for responding to specific disasters.
You can send your special offerings and gifts through the Shenango Presbytery office (4197 New Castle Road, Pulaski, PA 16143). Please designate gifts to DR000169-Harvey, DR000194-Irma, or DR000194-Maria. We will forward all gifts on to Presbyterian Disaster Assistance.
For more information, updates, and resources (such as a bulletin insert), please visit http://pda.pcusa.org.
Help for Puerto Rico
Help Presbyterians in Puerto Rico recover from hurricane Maria and enable them to minister to their neighbors.
Pastor Adolfo Santana- Cordero is the pastor of the PCUSA church in San Juan and personally friend of Beth Creekpaum (of the Sandy Lake church) through the PCUSA’s CREDO program.
He reports they are in desperate need of:
- Batteries: AA, AAA, 9V, C, D
- Solar lamps
- Bug repellent (NON aerosol)
If your church is interested and willing to collect and mail these items to Adolfo and his church, please contact Beth at TheOtherRevCreekpaum@gmail.com for mailing/shipping instructions.
If you personally would like to donate items for mailing or contribute money to help defray the cost of mailing these items to Puerto Rico, please deliver to the Presbytery office and Beth will post them to Puerto Rico on your behalf.
Thanks for your generosity!
News From the Churches
Evensong at Unity
Sunday, December 17 at 6:30 PM, come and sing the beloved carols in the beautifully decorated sanctuary of Unity Presbyterian Church (1857 Mercer-West Middlesex Road, Mercer). Dinner is at 5:30 PM to which ALL are invited.
FREE Church Choral Music
Sheet music, cantatas, hymnals. Browse a nice assortment of general, Christmas, and Easter selections and take what you like. All for FREE! Church is located in New Castle. Call 724-674-5209.
Word Centered is looking for a podium (for someone shorter in height). If you have one to donate, please contact Donna Heard at 724-699-4170.
Grief Support Group
It is important to understand grief, to learn coping skills and to have a determination to survive the loss. Hold on to hope and gather with others on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 6:00 PM at Shenango Presbyterian Church (3144 Wilmington Road, New Castle). Rev. Andy Shaffer, Chaplain at SouthernCare Hospice will facilitate the group.
Holiday Events at First, Sharon
- The Shenango Valley Chorale, under the direction of Stephen Barr, will present its annual Holiday Concerts on Friday, December 8th, at 7:30 PM in the Chapel at Westminster College, and on Saturday, December 9th, at 7:30 PM in the Sanctuary of First Presbyterian Church, 600 East State Street, Sharon. The Chorale will be joined by a chamber orchestra, the Shenango Area Youth Choir, under the direction of Julie Kerr, and the Chorale’s Madrigal Singers. Tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for seniors, $5 for students, and children 12 and under are free. Tickets may be purchased at the door.
- The Black Sheep Players will present “A Christmas Carol: A Live Radio Play” in the Fellowship Hall of First Presbyterian Church in Sharon on Saturday, December 16th at 7:30 PM and on Sunday, December 17th, at 2:30 PM. The play is based on the beloved Charles Dickens novella, and takes place in a radio studio. The audience becomes the “live” audience for the “live” radio broadcast. Tickets are $15 for adults.
- First Presbyterian Church in Sharon and the Shenango Valley Chorale Madrigal Singers will hold their 10th annual Boar’s Head and Yule Log Festival on Sunday, January 7, 2018, at 3:30 PM. This beautiful recreation of a medieval festival is complete with costumes, staging, and plenty of Christmas carols. It’s a perfect way to celebrate Epiphany and bring to a close the Advent and Christmas seasons. The Festival is free, and a “meet and greet the cast” reception will follow the Festival.