January 16- 7:00 PM Committee on Ministry, Neshannock PC
January 17- 1:30 PM Evangelism Committee, Presbytery Office
January 23- 9:30 AM Steering Committee, Presbytery Office
EP Activity This Month
Our Executive Presbyter, Ralph Hawkins, preached at Hillside church in Greenville (Jan 7) and will preach at First New Castle (Jan 14). He will charge the congregation during the pastoral installation at Trinity church in Mercer (Jan 21). He will present two training workshops for Ruling Elders at LeaderFest (Jan 13) and will lead a pastor retreat for Lake Erie and Western New York presbyteries (Feb 5-7). Ralph welcomes opportunities to preach or bring greetings during a worship service, as well as opportunities to visit Session and Deacon meetings. Schedule a Sunday or a meeting time by contacting him at 724-528-1610 or email@example.com.
Stated Clerk Updates
– TE Catherine Craley will be installed as pastor of Trinity church in Mercer on January 21.
– TE Jordan Rimmer has started his ministry with the Northminster church in New Castle and will be installed by the presbytery in April. Jordan transfers to Shenango from Beaver-Butler Presbytery, our immediate neighbor to the south.
– TE John Lersch (HR) is preaching for the Moravia congregation during the winter and spring. John grew up in Shenango and has returned to our area in his retirement after years of pastoral ministry around the country.
– Carolyn Moss has begun service as Temporary Pastor of Slippery Rock church in Ellwood City, pending her examination and ordination by the presbytery in February. Carolyn has been a candidate under the care of our Committee on Preparation for Ministry and has been a Ruling Elder in the New Wilmington church.
– RE Donna Heard will be commissioned by the presbytery at its February meeting to serve as pastor of the Word Centered congregation in Sharon, having previously served there as an assistant pastor.
– Pastor Nominating Committees are actively searching for Teaching Elders for the Clen-Moore and First New Castle congregations.
(TE = Teaching Elder; RE = Ruling Elder; CRE = Commissioned Ruling Elder; MAL = Member at Large; HR = Honorably Retired; PNC = Pastor Nominating Committee)
It’s time for Annual Reports again!
The GA online statistical program is located at http://oga.pcusa.org/stats. Clerks will use the same “user name” and “password” as they have used the past few years. Please note the the password should contain an “!” and is case-sensitive. The deadline for entering your statistical information is February 13, 2018 at midnight. If you have forgotten your user name and password, please call or email the Presbytery office. (Note: If you changed your password from what was assigned by the denomination, we will not have that new password.) There is a “Frequently Asked Questions” page available to help with most common questions.
Presbytery annual reports are available on the “Resources” page of the Presbytery website. They are downloadable as WORD and EXCEL files and the completed forms can either be mailed to the office or emailed to Autumn at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for completing these forms is January 31, 2018. Several churches have not been able to complete their reports by the January deadline in the past, please note that in order for your deceased elders to be included in the special service at the February presbytery meeting, your Necrology form MUST be received at the office by February 9th!
The Egyptian Church Post Arab Spring: Challenges and Opportunities will be presented on Saturday, February 3, 2018 (10:00-11:00 AM) at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary featuring The Rev. Dr. Andrea Zaki, President of the Protestant Churches of Egypt, General Director of the Coptic Evangelical Organization for Social Services (CEOSS). Visit https://www.pts.edu/Egyptian-Church-Post-Arab-Spring for more information.
News From the Churches
No matter what the circumstances, grief recovery is a painful process. A GriefShare seminar/support group is being hosted and sponsored by Calvin Presbyterian Church. The program will be facilitated by Ginny Brest. The first session is scheduled for Sunday, February 4 from 1:300-3:30 p.m. in the church parlor. The group will meet each Sunday afternoon (except April 1, Easter Sunday) for 13 weeks, concluding on May 6 . While participants are encouraged to complete the 13-week program if possible, attendance is not mandatory each week. The program is free and open to anyone in the community (and beyond) because we understand how deeply grief and loss hurts people and families. This is a place where many people have found they can begin to put their lives back together again. The program is open to anyone who has experienced the loss of a loved one to help them through the grief process. If you, or someone you know, would benefit from this program, please contact Ginny Brest at 724-758-3838 or the church office at 724-758-4258 or by email at email@example.com. You can also view the GriefShare website at www.griefshare.org for additional information.