March 2- 1:00 PM Sudan Group, Presbytery Office
March 6- 10:oo AM PMC Continuing Covenant Group, Westminster College
March 8– 2:30 PM GA Commissioner Orientation, Presbytery Office
March 10- 9:30 AM Personnel Reviews, Presbytery Office
News From The Presbytery Office
Last Minute – Important Opportunity
A speaker from International Justice Ministry http://www.ijm.org, a very important mission organization, will be at Harbison Chapel at Grove City College this evening at 7:00 PM.
Every time there is a natural disaster in the US or internationally, Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA) is involved on your behalf, to provide both immediate and long term assistance. You can send funds through the Presbytery Office. Simply mark them for the cause that you or your church wishes to support (Haiti, Chili, etc.). Your “One Great Hour of Sharing” offering this Easter includes support for PDA.
For long term recovery efforts (as we have seen with Katrina and which will follow in Haiti), there are several ways to respond:
- Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA) continues to be involved with Katrina and will be involved for the long term in Haiti. Several of our churches have sent teams to work through PDA. For more details, including future work camps in Haiti, check here http://www.pcusa.org/pda/
- Medical efforts in Haiti will also be directed through the Medical Benevolence Foundation http://www.mbfoundation.org/ MBF works with the PC(USA) and Barry Almy firstname.lastname@example.org (412) 600-5220 is our local contact.
- The Outreach Foundation http://www.theoutreachfoundation.org/ is another PC(USA)-related source of help in disasters.
News from the Churches
2010 Ukraine-Slovakia Mission Trip
This trip is sponsored by East Main Presbyterian Church and Slovak Folk Crafts. It is led by Anne and Dave Dayton. The two possible dates: May 12-26 or June 14-27. Contact the Daytons for more details email@example.com.
Organist or Pianist for Wurtemburg Presbyterian Church for Sunday morning choir practice and worship service. Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org or PO Box 709, Ellwood City, PA 16117.
World Day of Prayer Service at Slippery Rock PC
Slippery Rock Presbyterian, Ellwood City, will be holding a World Day of Prayer Service on Friday, March 5 at 1:00 PM. “The service and powerpoint presentation have been written by the women of Cameroon, and will be observed by women worldwide. The theme is ‘Let everyone who has voice, Praise His name.’ From the first sunrise in Papau, New Guinea to the last sunset in New Zealand, women from all over the world will join voices to praise God and pray for the wellbeing of fellow women, children, families and to end the oppressive situations that deny anyone an acceptable way of life.” There will be a time of fellowship following the service.
Needed – Stair Glide
Bethlehem PCUSA, Sharon, is in need of a stair glide to make Fellowship Hall more accessible to those with hip and knee issues. If you have a used one for sale or know of any church that does, please call Pastor Robbie Arnold at 724-983-0194. Thank you!
Local Workshops, Events
Peace Studies Coffeehouse and Poster Exhibition
“The artistic fight against Holocaust denial” : speaker Dr. Ronit Fisher from Western Galilee College, Israel will be presented on Wednesday, March 10th, 7:00 PM in Mueller Theater, McKelvey Campus Center, Westminster College. Dr. Fisher is a Jewish history scholar and the daughter of Holocaust survivors from Eastern Europe. The event is free and open to the public. A dessert reception will follow the talk. All are welcome to attend.
Lectures at First Presbyterian, Youngstown
Dr. Daniel Aleshire, Executive Director of the Association of Theological Schools, will speak at First Presbyterian Church, Youngstown on March 23 with the following topics:
- 4:00 PM Leaving the Promised Land for the Wilderness: The Changing Status of Congregations, Ministry, and Theological Education
- 7:00 PM Shepherd, CEO, Entrepreneur, and Social Worker: Pastoral Leadership and the Work of God’s People
Call for reservation information: 330-744-4307