Shenango Presbytery Council Response (February 7)
Fellowship of Presbyterians meeting in Orlando (January 18 – 20)
The Presbytery Council realizes that there is much interest in our churches regarding what the Presbytery will do in response to the denominational situation. Council’s meeting on February 7 included a discussion with some of those who attended the meeting of the Fellowship of Presbyterians meeting inOrlando. The Council took action on the following (recommended by the Special Committee on Denominational issues):
- The February 28 Presbytery meeting at Grove City College (Crawford Hall) will have a short worship and business meeting. After the break (approximately 8:30 pm) we will have 90 minutes for a presentation from those who attended the Orlandomeeting. Discussion will be limited, but unanswered questions will be especially solicited for use in future conversations. All are welcome to attend all or part of the Presbytery meeting.
- The same presentation (slightly shorter) will be offered two more times, along with time for discussion.
- Sunday, March 11 at Northminster Church (New Castle) from 7 – 8:45 pm.
- Thursday, March 22 at First Church (Sharon) from 7 – 8:45 pm
- The Special Committee on Denominational Issues will lead a conversation over the next few months on the question: “Shall the Presbytery of Shenango affiliate with the Fellowship of Presbyterians?”
- The Council instructed the Clerk and Executive to send a letter to the Clerk of the General Assembly asking for clarity on issues of Presbytery’s authority with property. This is intended to confirm that there will be no challenge to our policy allowing churches to leave with their property.
David Dawson, Presbytery Executive, will be providing a paper next week describing the situation and his recommendations for our churches and the Presbytery. Watch for it on eLink.
It is highly recommended that you watch and/or read the following at http://www.fellowship-pres.org/. This is important and necessary preparation for February 28, March 11 and 22.
- John Ortberg video (January 22 entry)
- Fellowship of Presbyterians Covenant (January 20 entry)
- Evangelical Covenant Order, Polity, and Theology papers (January 19 entry)
- and much more on the Fellowship of Presbyterians page
(Note: Several of these items are also linked from the Special Committee page on the Presbytery web site for your convenience.)