- October 10- 1:00 PM Christian Education Committee, Presbytery Office
- October 11- 9:30 AM Nominating Committee, Presbytery Office
1:30 PM Evangelism Committee, Presbytery Office
- October 16- 9:00 AM Steering Committee, Presbytery Office
7:00 PM Committee on Ministry, Neshannock, NW
MISSION YEARBOOKS HAVE ARRIVED. YOU CAN PICK UP YOUR RESERVED COPIES AT THE PRESBYTERY OFFICE. WE ALSO HAVE A LIMITED NUMBER OF EXTRA COPIES AVAILABLE AT $16.00 EACH.
New Hospital Chaplain
Marsha Parrish (Oak Grove) has been hired through the Greater New Castle Christian Ministerial Fellowship as the new part-time Chaplain at Jameson Hospital in New Castle. Her primary ministry will be to visit those who register as unchurched or no affiliation.
Temporary Housing Need
A very allergic person (no pets) would like to rent a room as temporary housing near the center of the Presbytery while she is seeking a permanent residence. If you know of a possibility, please contact the Presbytery Office.
Committee on Ministry Recommendation for 2013 Minimum Salary
The COM is recommending to Presbytery (September 25) that the minimum salary/housing for 2013 be $46,725. This is an increase of 1.5% from 2012. All new calls must meet and maintain minimum. The 1.5% is a guideline for increases for those pastors who are above minimum. The Board of Pensions dues in 2013 will be 33%. The dues have been increased 3/4% in 2012 and 2013. This is not related to the domestic partners provisions. The salary/housing and pension/major medical increases add approximately $1,000 to the minimum cost for a full-time pastor.
Tut Kony Visiting From The Sudan Again This Week
Many of you may remember Tut as the guest speaker at Celebrate Sudan and the Pastor Retreat last fall. He will be at Miriam Gwin’s home on Sunday evening, October 14th, from 6-9 PM. Please contact Miriam to confirm your visit and get directions at 724-667-8321.
Rev. Kony will also be at Panera’s in Sharon on Monday evening, October 15th at 7:oo PM.
New DVD Series by Ken Bailey
Ken Bailey, with the support of the Synod of the Trinity, has produced a new DVD series on “Christian Leadership in the New Testament”. Click herehttp://www.syntrinity.org/182/Ken_Bailey_Video_Leadership_Series.html to find them on YouTube. We will also have copies in the Resource Center.
Events at Shenango Church – The Presbytery is Invited
- Rev. Tut Kony from the Sudan will preach on Sunday, October 14th at 10:30 AM. A light lunch will follow.
- Dr. Laura Smit (Guest Speaker at the Pastor Retreat) will preach on Sunday, October 21st at 10:30 AM. A coffee hour will follow worship with a time of Q+A about ECO with Dr. Smit.
Elder Training is Coming to Greenville!
The Regional Elder Training (Elder 101) is coming to First Presbyterian, Greenville on Sunday, October 28th from 6-8 PM. This is a great training event for the whole Session or for the up-and-coming elder you just elected. Rev. Tod Custer at Christ Church said, “Both my rookie elders and my veteran elders found value in attending this event”. Questions? Call Teresa Kendall at 724-758-5977.
News from the Churches
Fall Flea Market & Bazaar
Bessemer Presbyterian Church (29 N. Main Street, Bessemer) will hold a Fall Flea Market & Bazaar on Saturday, October 13th from 8 AM to 2 PM. Lunch and baked goods will be available. Plenty of treasures to be found! All proceeds will benefit the Bessemer Presbyterian Church’s General Fund.
Events at Northminster
- Annual Rummage Sale on Saturday, October 13th from 9 AM – 2 PM. Jewelry, Shoes, Clothing & Accessories, along with Books will be for sale. Stop by 2434 Wilmington Road in New Castle for some great deals. The Willing Workers Sunday School Class will be giving the proceeds to mission projects.
- Semi-Annual Spaghetti Dinner on Saturday, November 3rd from 4:30 – 7:00 PM. Take-out is available! Tickets are $8 for adults, $3 for children (ages 3-10), ages 2 and under FREE. Dinner includes drink, salad, bread, spaghetti, meatballs, and dessert.
Spaghetti Dinner at Clen-Moore
Thursday, October 25th from 4:30 – 6:30 PM. Adults-$8.00, Children 5-10-$4.00, under 5-FREE, or Family-$20.00. Proceeds to benefit Health Ministries and purchase of an AED.