November 10- 7:00 PM Committee on Ministry, Neshannock PC
November 12- 12:00 PM MCS, New Wilmington PC
1:30 PM Sudan Team, New Wilmington PC
1:30 PM Evangelism Committee, Presbytery Office
EP Activity This Month
Our Executive Presbyter, Ralph Hawkins, will be preaching at Jamestown (Nov 29). He will be leading a preaching workshop for ordained and lay pastors in the Iglesia Evangélica Dominicana (Nov 5-7), and will be participating in a COM/CPM training session sponsored by the synod (Nov 19-20). Ralph welcomes opportunities to preach or bring greetings during a worship service, as well as opportunities to visit Session and Deacon meetings. Schedule a Sunday or a meeting time by contacting him at 724-528-1610 or email@example.com.
Stated Clerk Updates
– TE Bill Crooks and the Trinity congregation are celebrating 35 years of installed ministry together this month.
– TE Kang Na (Westminster College) has been added by our Committee on Ministry to the approved pulpit supply list, available on our website.
– TE Mark Frailey was installed as pastor of Coolspring church on Sunday, October 18, by a commission elected in September.
– TE Tom Clyde’s (Beaver-Butler presbytery) contract to serve the Ebenezer church part-time was renewed by the session and approved by the COM.
– Rev. Rob Guy (Church of God) has been hired half-time by the Wurtemburg church and has been approved by a subgroup of our Committee on Ministry to labor within our bounds. Rob is a PhD candidate in History and Divinity at Kings College, University of Aberdeen.
– Ray Medina, candidate for ordination under care of the Presbytery of San Francisco, has been called by the Bell Memorial church and will examined for ordination at our November 17 stated meeting. Should the way be clear, his first Sunday at Bell Memorial will be November 22.
– TE Matthew Camlin has been called by the New Wilmington church and will transfer from the Upper Ohio Valley presbytery. Rev. Camlin’s first Sunday at New Wilmington will be December 6.
– The Jamestown session recently voted to place the question of dismissal to another Reformed body before the congregation again on November 15. The first vote, a year ago, failed at 61%.
– A Pastor Nominating Committee remains active at the Faith church.
(TE = Teaching Elder)
First Fireside Chat
All Shenango pastors are invited to our first Fireside Chat — a half-day, one-topic, mini-retreat for our Teaching Elders and CREs to engage a practical matter of pastoral ministry. Sponsored by our Leadership Development Team, the same folks who plan our Pastor Retreats, our first Chat will be Wednesday, November 11, 9:30am-lunch at the Confluence Coffee House in downtown New Castle. The topic will be Time Management in ministry: how to balance life, ministry, and technology in the service of Jesus. Bring a tip or two to share; leave with several in your pocket. $5 for lunch; no reservations required.
You are encouraged to complete the attached evaluation form regarding our Executive Presbyter/Stated Clerk, if you have had sufficient contact with him to be able to answer. Your response will be seen only by the Personnel Committee Chair. You can mail the completed form by December 31, 2015 to: Alice Sacherich, 504 Randall Drive, New Castle, PA 16105
Shenango Presbytery is still seeking a few volunteers to assist the staff at the Presbytery office in answering the phone and re-shelving resource materials. This way there will always be at least 2 people in the building. We appreciate those people who have already stepped forward to help, but we still need a few volunteers to cover the afternoon shift on the fourth Tuesday, and other occasional slots that become available. You may choose your shift and the number of times per month is flexible. Orientation will be provided. If interested contact Dave Hoye at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-475-2021 or Alice Sacherich at email@example.com or 724-652-1376.
Pastors: Look through your library and bring up to ONE box of books to give away or swap at the November 17th presbytery meeting at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Mercer. Don Stanley will be combing through the books during the first part of the meeting to find suitable items to donate to the Don McClure Bible School in Gambella, Ethiopia. During the pie break, you’ll have a chance to look through the remaining books to find treasures for your own library. A free swap, no strings attached! If you have special items that you would like to make sure make it to Ethiopia, please mark them accordingly for Don. A fun way to help our Ethiopian partners and one another…bring a book, share a book, take a book.
Fall PW Gathering
Rev. Bob McCreight (shown here) brings a meditation from scripture during the fall gathering of Shenango’s Presbyterian Women, held at the North Liberty Church, where Bob serves as pastor. The day was filled with scripture, prayer, music, and mission updates. The spring PW gathering will be Saturday, April 16, 2016.
Annual Enrollment: Time to Check Your Benefits Coverage
Now through November 13th is your chance to review, choose, and change your benefits coverage. To review your current benefits, log on to Benefits Connect.
Eugene Carson Blake Scholarship for Ecumenical Formation
The Ecumenical Institute at Bossey will award a scholarship in honor of the former Stated Clerk of the General Assembly of the United Presbyterian Church in the USA. One Presbyterian Church (USA) student applying for admission for the 2016-2017 academic year will be nominated. Learn more.
News from the Churches
Mt. Hermon Presbyterian Church (3116 Frew Mill Road, New Castle) will celebrate their 175th Anniversary on Sunday, November 8th with a special worship service at 11:00 AM. Special music by “The Walkers” will be featured, and the service will be followed by light refreshments. Please join them, you are a blessed part of their history. Any questions, contact Karen Lynn at 724-924-9431.
We are celebrating Rev. Bill Crooks 35th year as pastor of Trinity Presbyterian Church, Mercer. Come join us on Sunday, November 15, 2015 following 11 AM worship to extend your best wishes and enjoy a piece of cake.
Ham Loaf Dinner
Bessemer Presbyterian Church (29 N. Main Street, Bessemer) will be holding a Ham Loaf Dinner on Saturday, November 14, 2015 from 5 – 7 PM. Proceeds to benefit the Church’s General Fun. Adults $10.00, Children 6-12 $5.00, Children 5 and under FREE. Eat in or Take Out Available! Call the Church Office for tickets: 724-667-7255.
FREE Choir Music
Oak Grove Church has 4 large boxes of Choir Music FREE to anyone who could use it. Contact Pastor Marsha at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-699-1862.