September 1- 9:00 AM Fundraising Campaign Meeting, Presbytery Office
September 5- OFFICE CLOSED, Labor Day
September 6- 9:30 AM Council, Shenango PC, New Castle
Nominating Committee Training
Do you serve on your congregation’s Nominating Committee? Have you been elected by your session to chair that committee? On Sunday, September 11th (6:30 – 8:30 PM) at Faith Presbyterian Church in Hermitage, join EP Ralph Hawkins for practical training and helpful conversation about the sacred task of nominating elders, deacons, and trustees to serve the church and build up the body of Jesus. Brought to you by the Presbytery’s Christian Education Committee.
South Sudan Matching Challenge
Two elders in one of our congregations have challenged our presbytery to match their $20,000 mission gift by September 27 for immediate food relief in South Sudan through our mission partners. Pastors and elders in the our partner denomination SSPEC (South Sudanese Presbyterian Evangelical Church) will use these funds to purchase wholesale food suitable for distribution through their congregations. Congregational offerings can be mailed to the presbytery office marked “South Sudan Match” or sent through your pastor or elder commissioner to the September 27 presbytery meeting at Camp Crestfield, Slippery Rock, Pa. Individuals can donate online at the Presbyterian Mission Exchange by choosing the fund SOUTH SUDAN HUNGER RELIEF MATCHING OFFERING.
Myers-Briggs and Leadership in the Church
Come join the presbytery’s Christian Education Committee and discover the unique personality and gifts that God has given to you and how you are called and equipped to use those gifts to serve the Lord more effectively. Sunday, October 2, 2016 from 2:00-5:30 pm at Faith Presbyterian Church, Hermitage, PA. Cost: $8/person (includes a personality assessment and snacks). Led by Michelle Snyder, Executive Director of Pittsburgh Pastoral Institute E-mail Andrea Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Click here to register by September 18. Click here to download a bulletin insert.
Attend the upcoming Wee Kirk Conference, October 10-12 at Laurelville Mennonite Church Center in Mt. Pleasant, PA. Be inspired, equipped, motivated, and encouraged as a small congregation by worship, workshops, and fellowship time. Download a brochure or contact Jane Bartholomew for paper copies, and register today! Churches with up to 125 members pay only $100 for a husband and wife, or $75 per single registrant. Churches with 126-200 members pay $125 for a husband and wife, or $100 per single registrant. EP Ralph Hawkins will be this year’s Communion Preacher and will also lead a workshop.
Cooking With a Mission
You are invited to join a five-week course in gastronomic delights starting Monday, September 19th and running each Monday through October 17th from 5;30 – 8:30 PM at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Mercer. This hands-on class will feature a full array of menu items and tasting each evening led by instructor, local chef Mark Arnold. The cost of $200 per person will go to support the mission work sponsored by Shenango Presbytery. We can now announce that our special guest chefs will be Steve & Brenda Stelle, who will introduce us to a few dishes from Ethiopia. Class size is limited, so contact the Presbytery office for a registration form. Questions, call Don Stanley at 724-308-7251.
Register for the Fall Pastor Retreat
Reading Poetry for Spiritual Formation and Pastoral Leadership, October 3-4, 2016 at Villa Maria Conference Center with Dr. Richard Haney (Executive Director of Presbyterian Frontier Fellowship). Click here to register: https://shenango.org/committees-groups/pastor-retreat-registration/
Sudan Celebration Choir
Singers are needed to share their voice in a one-time choir for the Celebrate Sudan Event on Sunday, September 25th at 4 PM at East Main Presbyterian Church in Grove City. Those who are willing to sing in the choir – rehearsal will be at 2:45 PM at East Main. (A one hour rehearsal with a break before the actual Celebration begins.) No robes – music will be provided. Come and share your voice with this special celebration of mission.
Egypt Mission Network Events
- There are plans to take a team to Egypt in the fall to build partnerships with the Presbyterian Church in Egypt. Dates are October 26 – November 3 (with potential for adding on tourist trips pre and post). Registration by Sept. 16. For more information, http://www.egyptpartnershipnetwork.org/travel/2016/10/2/fall-2016-cairo-visit
- Sandy Lake Presbyterian Church (3461 Sandy Lake New Lebanon Road, Sandy Lake, PA) is hosting a dinner for 8 young Egyptian Church leaders and their hosts. Mark your calendar for a potluck dinner on September 14 from 6-8. Bring a dish to pass and table service and come hear how the Spirit is moving amongst our brothers and sisters in Egypt. (Questions: 724-376-2630 or TheOtherRevCreekpaum@gmail.com)
Westminster College to Inaugurate New President
On Friday, October 28, 2016, Westminster College will inaugurate Kathy Brittain Richardson, Ph.D., as its fifteenth President.
Continuing Education Opportunities and Events at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary
For more information, click on the links, or go to www.pts.edu/CE for specific details…
- Language Over Lunch: Biblical Hebrew OR New Testament Greek, September 7-November 9
- Violence in Scripture, an online class with Jerome Creach, registration deadline September 12
- The Desert Abbas & Ammaswith Roberta Bondi, September 14-17
- Extending Hospitality, Conversations & Community Series, beginning September 14
- Change of Course: Navigating Christian Education Todaywith Paul Humphreys, September 24
- Transforming Mission, the McClure Lectures with Stephen Bevans, September 26-27
- The Place Where We Are Right: A Conversation between Friends about Israel & Palestine,September 29
- The Art of Transitional Ministry, Part 2, October 17-21
- The End of Adam & Eve: Theology & the Science of Human Origins, an online class with Ron Cole-Turner
- Are We There Yet? Safe Travels with Youth, aFREE WEBINARresource
News From the Churches
Organist and/or pianist. Neshannock Presbyterian Church, New Wilmington, PA. One Sunday service per week. One choir rehearsal per week in season. Pay commensurate with experience. Reply to Neshannock Presbyterian Church at 724-946-2081 or email@example.com.
Ready to make a (DiFF)erence? Pioneer Memorial Presbyterian Church in Solon, Ohio is looking for an energetic and innovative full time Director of Faith Formation (DiFF). Located on American’s North Coast in one of Ohio’s best school districts, our mid-sized congregation is dedicated to integrating children and youth into the life of the church, and to extending our faith into the community around us through works of mission. The DiFF will provide vision for Faith Formation, Christian Education, and Youth Ministry. See the posting in the Church Leadership Connection or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.