Special Offerings

Does your church contribute to the PC(USA)’s Special Offerings? Would you like more information, and printable resources, that you can use to help promote these offerings throughout the year?

Together, Presbyterians have a massive impact around the world, just by contributing to the four Special Offerings through the PC(USA). Millions of people just like you are helping to make a difference and changing lives.

You can learn more about the Special Offerings here, and sign up to receive information packets with promotional materials, including worship resources, bulletin inserts, and curriculum materials. Keep reading to learn more about the individual offerings, and find links to specific resources for each.

The One Great Hour of Sharing Offering is typically received during the season of Lent. It serves the “least of these” among us by providing relief to those affected by catastrophic events, giving sustainable food resources to the hungry, and changing the structures that perpetuate poverty, oppression, and injustice. The three programs supported by One Great Hour of Sharing – Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, the Presbyterian Hunger Program, and Self-Development of People – all work in different ways to serve individuals and communities in need. From initial disaster response to ongoing community development, their work fits together to provide people with safety, sustenance, and hope.

The Pentecost Offering is typically received on Pentecost Sunday. It helps the church encourage, develop, and support its younger members to build a life of faith with a foundation established during childhood. 40% of the Pentecost offering can be retained by individual congregations wanting to make an impact in the lives of young people within their own community. The remaining 60% is used to support children-at-risk, youth, and young adults through ministries of the Presbyterian Mission Agency.

The Peace and Global Witness Offering is typically received during the Season of Peace culminating on World Communion Sunday. It provides tools and resources for the Church as we join together as active peacemakers at all times in all ways, like the reconciliation work in South Sudan, international advocacy at the UN, or a peace camp for kids in New Jersey. A gift to the Peace & Global Witness Offering enables the church to promote the Peace of Christ by addressing systems of conflict and injustice across the world. Individual congregations are encouraged to utilize up to 25% of this Offering to connect with the global witness of Christ’s peace. Mid councils retain an additional 25% for ministries of peace and reconciliation. The remaining 50% is used by the Presbyterian Mission Agency to advocate for peace and justice in cultures of violence, including our own, through collaborative projects of education and Christian witness.

The Christmas Joy Offering is typically received during the Advent and Christmas seasons. You can respond to God’s perfect gift, Jesus Christ, by providing assistance to current and retired church workers in their time of need and developing future leaders at Presbyterian-related schools and colleges equipping communities of color. The Christmas Joy Offering has been a cherished Presbyterian tradition since the 1930s. The Offering distributes gifts equally to the Assistance Program of the Board of Pensions and to Presbyterian-related schools and colleges equipping communities of color. The Assistance Program provides critical financial support to church workers and their families. Presbyterian-related schools and colleges provide education and leadership development while nurturing racial and ethnic heritage. This has been a Presbyterian commitment for nearly 140 years.

Even though there are typical times throughout the year that these offerings are received, your church may choose to receive them at a different time. Just make sure to note on your check, or remittance form which offering the moneys are intended for when you send it in to the Presbytery Office (600 E. State Street, Sharon, PA 16146).

Information quoted from http://specialofferings.pcusa.org

Published by shenangopresby

The Presbytery of Shenango serves 49 churches in Mercer and Lawrence Counties of western Pennsylvania.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: