December 2- 1:00 PM Christian Education Committee, Presbytery Office
Generosity is the Antidote to Consumerism. Join your fellow Presbyterians and participate in the fourth annual #GivingTuesday, today, December 1, 2015 to support mission and ministry at home and around the world.
- Make a secure gift online via debit or credit card or EFT to any PCUSA congregation, or PCUSA-related mission organization –regional, national, and international at presbyterianmissionexchange.org.
- Give the gift of a local cooking class – 100% of the $250.00 sign-up fee will go to support mission work supported by Shenango Presbytery (contact the Presbytery Office for more information).
- Give a gift from the Presbyterian Giving Catalog… https://presbyteriangifts.org/?appeal=SG-6E15
Stated Clerk Updates
– TE Elizabeth Wallace has started as Temporary Associate Pastor at Christ church and her presbytery membership has been transferred from Beaver-Butler. Members of the former Knox Presbyterian Church have been transferred to Christ church. Elizabeth will also continue to serve Ellport church part time.
– Rev. Rob Guy (Church of God) has started as half-time stated supply pastor of Wurtemburg church and will be a member of presbytery for the duration of his service within our bounds. Rob is a PhD candidate in History and Divinity at Kings College, University of Aberdeen.
– Ray Medina has started as pastor of Bell Memorial church and will be ordained and installed on Sunday, December 13, 6:30pm.
– TE Matthew Camlin has started as pastor of New Wilmington church and will be installed on Sunday, January 24, 3pm.
– TE Jim Latta has been renewed to serve the Faith church as interim pastor and TE Jason Hickman has been renewed to serve another year outside our bounds as pastor of West Middlesex church (ECO).
– The Jamestown congregation recently voted 54-9 (86%) to request dismissal to another Reformed body.
– A Denominational Discernment Team has been appointed for the Pulaski church.
– A Pastor Nominating Committee remains active at Faith church.
(TE = Teaching Elder)
Joe Hopkins (H.R.) has donated a box full of anthems that he has written and composed. They are free to any church, and are available at the Presbytery Office.
You are encouraged to complete the attached evaluation form regarding our Executive Presbyter/Stated Clerk, if you have had sufficient contact with him to be able to answer. Your response will be seen only by the Personnel Committee Chair. You can mail the completed form by December 31, 2015 to: Alice Sacherich, 504 Randall Drive, New Castle, PA 16105
Shenango Presbytery is still seeking a few volunteers to assist the staff at the Presbytery office in answering the phone and re-shelving resource materials. This way there will always be at least 2 people in the building. We appreciate those people who have already stepped forward to help, but we still need a few volunteers to cover the afternoon shift on the fourth Tuesday, and other occasional slots that become available. You may choose your shift and the number of times per month is flexible. Orientation will be provided. If interested contact Dave Hoye at email@example.com or 724-475-2021 or Alice Sacherich at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-652-1376.
Advent Devotional- Now Available
The Fellowship Community has made available their 2015 Advent Devotional, featuring downloadable PDFs and daily email messages from a variety of authors. Included in the list of authors are Ray and Judith Hylton, formerly at First, New Castle and now serving in Evanston, IL. Click here to download the devotional and other resources.
Register for LeaderFest 2016!
It’s time once again to sign up to attend our annual leader training event…click here for more information and a link to register online.
Christmas Vespers at Westminster College
The Office of Faith and Spirituality cordially invites the community to the Annual Christmas Vespers Worship Service on Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 4:00 PM in Orr Auditorium, Westminster College. Rev. Jim Mohr will share the message “A Shepherd Like Faith”, with music provided by the Westminster Choirs, Orchestra, Brass Quintet, Flute Choir, Handbell Choir and Gospel Choir.
News from the Churches
Boar’s Head Festival at Christ Presbyterian Church
Join us for the 36th annual presentation of the Boar’s Head Festival on Saturday, November 28; Saturday, December 5; and Sunday, December 6. The Festival, a volunteer production, originated back in 1340 at Queens College, Oxford and brought to America where it was presented in colonial homes. The first known public appearance was at the Hoosac School in New York in 1888. A highly refined version of the ancient ceremony has been a tradition at Christ Church since 1980. Tickets are free – information, photos, and a ticket request form can be found at http://christpcellwoodcity.org/ChristPC/BH.html.
Westfield Church (ECO) (Route 108 just west of Mt. Jackson) plans a drive-thru nativity on Saturday, December 5, from 6-7:30 PM. Featuring carolers, live actors and animals, and luminaries to light your way. Invite your family and friends to attend this free gift to the community. More information at www.westfieldchurch.org or by calling 724-667-7045.
Blue Christmas Service
New Wilmington Presbyterian Church will hold the Blue Christmas Service on Sunday, December 6th at 5:00 PM at the church. This is a service planned for those who have experienced loss of any kind or who just simply cannot get excited about Christmas. All are welcome.
Clen-Moore Presbyterian Church is hosting The Circle of Friends Choirs for a free Christmas concert on Saturday, December 12 at 7 PM. The concert will benefit the Lawrence County Backpacking Program through a free will offering. This program provides a backpack full of nutritious and non-perishable food for over 490 Lawrence County school children to take home each weekend. For some children, this will be the only food they will have to eat until they return to school. A Circle of Friends Choirs brings together over 50 singers and musicians of all denominations who share their faith in God with others through Christian and secular music. The 90 minute concert will feature traditional Christmas and secular holiday music. Clen-Moore Presbyterian Church is located at 220 Clen-Moore Blvd, New Castle. More information is available at www.clenmoore.org or 724-654-6657.
Mt. Jackson Presbyterian Church will be sponsoring a special Advent concert on Sunday, December 13th at 7:00 PM. The concert will feature “One Voice”, a Christian vocal ensemble from Pittsburgh. Each year they do a series of concerts during the Lent and Advent seasons. The choir is made up of talented musicians and singers of all ages and represent many denominations. The group has been in existence for 24 years. They will offer a special blend of scripture, music, and narration to proclaim the Advent season. Mt. Jackson Church is located at 129 Mt. Air Road in New Castle.
Faith Presbyterian Church in Hermitage is looking for a Part-Time Secretary. Resumes can be sent to: Faith Presbyterian Church, 2370 N. Hermitage Road, Hermitage, PA 16148
New Wilmington Presbyterian Church has 272 copies of the RSV Bible, copyright 1952. They are well used, but still very usable. If interested, please contact the church office at 724-946-3541.
Part-Time Financial Secretary
Westfield Church (ECO) is looking for a part-time financial secretary. Starting salary is $6,000 per year based on 15 hours per week. Salary negotiable based on experience. A knowledge of Church Windows software a plus. To apply, please send resume email@example.com.