August 30- 9:30 AM Steering Team, Presbytery Office
DeLaCruz Installed in Iowa
Rev. Angel DeLaCruz, former pastor of our Word Centered Fellowship in Sharon, was recently installed as the pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, Paullina, Iowa. Read more about his new call to Paullina here.
EP Activity This Month
Our Executive Presbyter, Ralph Hawkins, will be preaching at Word Centered (Aug 28). Ralph welcomes opportunities to preach or bring greetings during a worship service, as well as opportunities to visit Session and Deacon meetings. Schedule a Sunday or a meeting time by contacting him at 724-528-1610 or email@example.com
Who Is My Neighbor?
Thursday, August 25th from 7-9 PM at First United Methodist Church in Ellwood City (416 Crescent Avenue) – an ecumenical worship service and racial reconciliation with conversations and refreshments. For more information, contact Rev. Angelique Bradford at 724-758-6278.
Nominating Committee Training
Do you serve on your congregation’s Nominating Committee? Have you been elected by your session to chair that committee? On Sunday, September 11th (6:30 – 8:30 PM) at Faith Presbyterian Church in Hermitage, join EP Ralph Hawkins for practical training and helpful conversation about the sacred task of nominating elders, deacons, and trustees to serve the church and build up the body of Jesus. Brought to you by the Presbytery’s Christian Education Committee.
Attend the upcoming Wee Kirk Conference, October 10-12 at Laurelville Mennonite Church Center in Mt. Pleasant, PA. Be inspired, equipped, motivated, and encouraged as a small congregation by worship, workshops, and fellowship time. Download a brochure or contact Jane Bartholomew for paper copies, and register today! Churches with up to 125 members pay only $100 for a husband and wife, or $75 per single registrant. Churches with 126-200 members pay $125 for a husband and wife, or $100 per single registrant. EP Ralph Hawkins will be this year’s Communion Preacher and will also lead a workshop.
Cooking With a Mission
You are invited to join a five-week course in gastronomic delights starting Monday, September 19th and running each Monday through October 17th from 5;30 – 8:30 PM at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Mercer. This hands-on class will feature a full array of menu items and tasting each evening led by instructor, local chef Mark Arnold. The cost of $200 per person will go to support the mission work sponsored by Shenango Presbytery, and it is hoped we will that a “guest chef” or two from among the missionaries our presbytery supports. Class size is limited, so contact the Presbytery office for a registration form. Questions, call Don Stanley at 724-308-7251.
Register for the Fall Pastor Retreat
Reading Poetry for Spiritual Formation and Pastoral Leadership, October 3-4, 2016 at Villa Maria Conference Center with Dr. Richard Haney (Executive Director of Presbyterian Frontier Fellowship). Click here to register: https://shenango.org/committees-groups/pastor-retreat-registration/
Sudan Celebration Choir
Singers are needed to share their voice in a one-time choir for the Celebrate Sudan Event on Sunday, September 25th at 4 PM at East Main Presbyterian Church in Grove City. Those who are willing to sing in the choir – rehearsal will be at 2:45 PM at East Main. (A one hour rehearsal with a break before the actual Celebration begins.) No robes – music will be provided. Come and share your voice with this special celebration of mission.
Egypt Mission Network Events
- There are plans to take a team to Egypt in the fall to build partnerships with the Presbyterian Church in Egypt. Dates are October 26 – November 3 (with potential for adding on tourist trips pre and post). Registration by Sept. 16. For more information, http://www.egyptpartnershipnetwork.org/travel/2016/10/2/fall-2016-cairo-visit
- Sandy Lake Presbyterian Church (3461 Sandy Lake New Lebanon Road, Sandy Lake, PA) is hosting a dinner for 8 young Egyptian Church leaders and their hosts. Mark your calendar for a potluck dinner on September 14 from 6-8. Bring a dish to pass and table service and come hear how the Spirit is moving amongst our brothers and sisters in Egypt. (Questions: 724-376-2630 or TheOtherRevCreekpaum@gmail.com)
Continuing Education Opportunities and Events at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary
For more information, click on the links, or go to www.pts.edu/CE for specific details…
- Language Over Lunch: Biblical Hebrew OR New Testament Greek, September 7-November 9
- Violence in Scripture, an online class with Jerome Creach, registration deadline September 12
- The Desert Abbas & Ammaswith Roberta Bondi, September 14-17
- Extending Hospitality, Conversations & Community Series, beginning September 14
- Change of Course: Navigating Christian Education Todaywith Paul Humphreys, September 24
- Transforming Mission, the McClure Lectures with Stephen Bevans, September 26-27
- The Place Where We Are Right: A Conversation between Friends about Israel & Palestine,September 29
- The Art of Transitional Ministry, Part 2, October 17-21
- The End of Adam & Eve: Theology & the Science of Human Origins, an online class with Ron Cole-Turner
- Are We There Yet? Safe Travels with Youth, aFREE WEBINAR resource
News From the Churches
Organist and/or pianist. Neshannock Presbyterian Church, New Wilmington, PA. One Sunday service per week. One choir rehearsal per week in season. Pay commensurate with experience. Reply to Neshannock Presbyterian Church at 724-946-2081 or firstname.lastname@example.org.